We are Compulsory Purchase specialists able to offer in-depth robust advice in what is a highly complicated and often misunderstood process.
A Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) is a legal mechanism used by government, councils and utility companies to assembly land and property without the consent of the owner to promote nationally significant infrastructure and regeneration projects. This can include airport expansion, electricity pylons and cables, housing developments, road and rail projects.
The law on Compulsory Purchase is complex and is derived from a variety of statue and case law built over more than 100 years. Kinney Green have the experience in dealing with all aspects of CPO and have negotiated compensation claims on behalf of claimants throughout London and the United Kingdom.
We act on behalf of investors, developers, owners, and tenants of both commercial premises and residential properties.
If you are a property owner or occupier (both residential and commercial) included in a Compulsory Purchase Order it is important to engage professional representation to protect your interest.
- Kinney Green is able to offer the following services:
- Advice on the potential impact of the CPO – including “blight”
- Detailed advice on the rights available to you
- Lodging an objection and negotiating mitigation options with the acquiring authority
- Securing undertakings from the Acquiring Authority in respect of professional fees
- Negotiating a sale by agreement or handling claims under a CPO
- Claiming compensation for loss of profits
- Managing the relocation of your business
- Advising on potential development value
- Advising on the use of s.17 Certificates of Appropriate Alternative Development
- Acting as expert witness at public inquiries and Upper Tribunal (Lands Chamber)
Our recent compulsory purchase experience includes:
- High Speed 2 (HS2)
- Thames Tideway Tunnel
- West Hendon Regeneration Scheme
- Bank Station Capacity Upgrade Project
- Navitus Bay Wind Park
- London Olympics 2012
In addition to compulsory purchase we are able to advice on statutory wayleaves, easements, restrictive covenants and ransom strips negotiations.